Hubby rarely requests anything and of all things he asked for….soup! Just the plain chicken and veggies with white beans and spinach. Or course I had to oblige. I realize this looks a lot like my other soups but I try to change it up a bit each time. This one was certainly a winner! I swear it made enough for twenty people and we ate every drop. Next time I would even add another can of beans just because I love me some beans.
Savory Grilled Chicken Soup
1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1 80z package of sliced Portobello mushrooms
1 tsp minced garlic
6 cups chicken broth, I use organic free range
Poultry seasoning, to taste
2 bay leaves
1 lb organic chicken breast, grilled with poultry seasoning then cubed
1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 bag fresh spinach, chopped
1. Spray a Dutch oven with EVOO spray over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots and sauté for 5-7 minutes until softened. Lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and sauté continuously for about another 2 minutes.
2. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape to deglaze the bottom.
3. Add the seasonings and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, add in the cubed chicken and beans then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the quinoa and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove the soup from heat and add the spinach. Continue to stir until the spinach wilts down.
6. Serve with crusty bread or whole grain crackers.