Rustic Spinach-Garlic Spanish Tortilla
2 1/2 lbs potatoes (I used Yukon Gold, Purple and New Potatoes)
2 large onions, peeled
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
10 ounces fresh or frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry if frozen), chopped
8 farm fresh eggs, room temperature
1. Slice the potatoes with a mandolin (Do not peel, skins add a rustic texture and extra fiber!). Layer in a Dutch oven; seasoning with salt and pepper between the layers.
2. Slice the onions a bit thinner with the mandolin, layer on top of the potatoes, seasoning as well. Press garlic cloves and layer on top of onions. Spread gently and evenly.
3. Pour olive oil over entire mixture. Cover and heat over medium heat. Simmer until onions have reduced and potatoes are soft but not cooked through; about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Drain excess oil.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Pour 1/2 onion and potato mixture into a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Spread spinach evenly, season with salt and pepper. Layer second half of onion potato mixture on top.
5. Whisk eggs and pour over slowly and evenly. Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes until golden and bubbly.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat||10.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||27.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4.0 g|
|Vitamin A||47.5 %|
|Vitamin B-12||5.9 %|
|Vitamin B-6||19.7 %|
|Vitamin C||56.6 %|
|Vitamin D||7.4 %|
|Vitamin E||4.6 %|
|Pantothenic Acid||4.6 %|
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|