Fall in love with tender pasta and marinated veggies smothered in a tangy lemon, mustard vinaigrette in this Best Veggie Pasta Salad (and just so happens to also be a gluten-free pasta salad!).
My new thing on Sunday (starting as of last week) is to make a different big salad for lunches instead of soup as the weather is warming up a bit. This was my first try at a fun and tangy salad and it came out awesome! It’s perfect for a side, snack, light meal or hearty dinner with the addition of a protein. I love adding some marinated, grilled tempeh or tofu. What’s also great about this is it’s also great if you’ve got a potluck, BBQ or other party where you need to bring a plant-based dish or someone asks for a vegan pasta salad.
What makes this recipe shine? The pasta salad dressing.
Fresh lemon juice, fruity olive oil, lots of fresh garlic and tangy olive oil are mellowed out with a dash of agave for sweetness. Not only is this the perfect pasta salad dressing, it would also be an incredible marinade!
What makes a great gluten free pasta salad? The pasta, of course!
I’ve been asked lots of times what my favorite gluten free pastas are. I’ve tried quite a few because my daughter has lots of food sensitivities linked to Leaky Gut. My favorites are:
(Rotelle is what I used in this recipe – cooked for 7 minutes to hold firmness.)
It holds it’s shape well, isn’t gritty and has great flavor and texture.
- 1 10 oz package rice or quinoa pasta
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 2 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper. seeded and diced
- 1/4 purple onion, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen (thawed) green peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Agave or stevia, to taste (for vegetarian option use honey)
- 1 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh (I used Cuban oregano)
- In a large bowl mix the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and toss to coat.
- ***To make this into a meal add some grilled tempeh or tofu