Here in Florida we’re in full even-my-eyelids-are-sweating mode, and it’s only June. It’s time for something cool and fresh – like Mango & Avocado Spring Rolls with Nutty Dipping Sauce.
These fresh mango and avocado spring rolls are a little sweet, a little savory, a little crunchy, a little soft and they’re so much fun to make with kids. These will definitely be added to my cooking class recipe list for warmer weather.
The key to these rolls is to prep your veggies first. I have a handy post on how to julienne carrots (and other vegetables) right here. Once you do that, it’s super easy!
Peanut-Free Nutty Dipping Sauce
Where’s what drives me nuts about nutty dipping sauce. For obvious reasons, it’s so hard to find a nut-free one! My eight-year-old and I decided to get a little crazy and use sunflower seed butter since she’s allergic to peanut butter. She mixed, blended and tasted until it was perfect, and then I added fresh garlic – ’cause you can’t go wrong with fresh garlic. Be still my sweaty eye-lids. This is GOOD. So good, I kept making more spring rolls to be a Nutty Dipping Sauce vehicle.
Now here’s the tricky part with fresh avocado spring rolls – the rolling. We made a rather shaky, filmed by an eight-year-old, video just for you. Presenting…….How to roll fresh spring rolls.
Long story short, you lay your veggies towards the bottom, fold the bottom up, over the veggies, then fold the two sides in, THEN wrap. This should give you a nice, clean, tight roll.
- ½ fresh mango, sliced thinly
- ¼ small head purple cabbage, shredded
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, any color, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, seeded and cut into slices
- Handful cilantro (optional)
- 10 pieces rice paper
- 3 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1 Tbsp tamari, soy sauce or liquid aminos
- ½ lime, squeezed
- 2 tbsp agave or raw, local honey
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup filtered water filtered water, or more, to thin
- Lay vegetables and fruit out on a plate to prepare to wrap.
- Blend nutty dipping sauce in a Magic Bullet or small blender.
- Soak each rice paper in warm water, according to package directions, or until pliable; layer a small amount of each vegetable at the base of the rice wrap; fold the bottom edge over the vegetables and fold the sides in. Roll until wrap is completely sealed; slice in half. Serve with dipping sauce.
Nutrition Facts Mango & Avocado Spring Rolls with Nutty Dipping Sauce
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 5.2 g
Saturated Fat 0.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.9 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 203.6 mg
Potassium 191.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 2.5 g
Vitamin A 22.6 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 5.3 %
Vitamin C 22.8 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 2.1 %
Calcium 1.8 %
Copper 3.3 %
Folate 6.0 %
Iron 2.2 %
Magnesium 3.0 %
Manganese 4.5 %
Niacin 3.1 %
Pantothenic Acid 3.7 %
Phosphorus 2.5 %
Riboflavin 2.9 %
Selenium 0.5 %
Thiamin 2.5 %
Zinc 1.6 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.