Part-Time Culinary Educator Contract Position August 2017- May 2018 School Year
- Run three to four weekly, one hour (per day), after-school cooking classes (either 2pm to 3pm, or, 3pm to 4pm) for 2nd through 5th graders at various school locations throughout St. Johns County
- Generous per-class rate plus allowance for supplies
- Individuals must be available for training in early August
Do you have what it takes?
Looking for three motivated individuals and two alternates that are excited about teaching children the value of healthful eating for a part-time, 9 month contract positions in the Saint Johns County: Julington Creek /Ponte Vedra areas. Minimal cooking or teaching experience necessary.
About the Program:
VegeCooking Classes are hands-on, purpose-based, pro-veggie cooking classes for kids. Curriculum covers everything from nutrition education to growing food and loving the planet! We avoid the eight common allergens – including dairy. The class promotes the consumption of fiber-rich legumes, seeds, vegetables and fruits prepared in delicious ways.
The mission of VegeCooking is to educate children about the benefits of eating more fresh fruits, vegetables and plant-foods. We aim to teach them the life-skill of cooking, though hands-on practice. Kids are encouraged to live in a sustainable manner – in harmony with the earth and their surroundings by reducing waste and learning about growing their own foods using permaculture methods.
One day we’ll see children choosing fresh fruits and vegetables because they know the benefits. They’ll be stewards of our earth and be able to grow and prepare their own food. When one child is empowered with the knowledge to take charge of his or her health, that child will inevitably change someone else’s life as well. Like the domino effect, together, we’ve created a better future for our kids – their longest, healthiest life, a heightened sense of awareness and empathy and a connection with the earth. This is a gift that will not only last their lifetime, but positively impact future generations.
Florida Coastal Cooking & Wellness was started in 2009 as a way to share healthful recipes on line. It has morphed into a purpose-based company with a comprehensive set of offerings for adults and children – including online programs, cookbooks and cooking classes.
- Run three to four, one hour, after-school cooking classes (either 2pm to 3pm or 3pm to 4pm) for 2nd through 5th graders at various school locations throughout St. Johns County: Cunningham Creek, Durbin Creek, Hickory Creek, Julington Creek, Liberty Pines, Patriot Oaks, Switzerland Point (6th-7th graders), Timberlin Creek, Ocean Palms, PV Rawlings, Valley Ridge
- Load equipment and unload equipment and food
- Have children review the weekly topic (provided for you) and ask the children the questions provided to encourage discussion
- Lead a fully interactive, hands-on cooking class using the provided weekly recipe
- Clean the area, pack up, unload and sanitize equipment according to provided safety standards
You’ll be gaining:
- The joy of teaching a child a life-skill they’ll use forever
- Give children the gift of health
- Expertise in plant-based nutrition and the benefits of vegetables
- Experience in permaculture principles to apply in your own life
- A chance to change the planet for the better. By teaching kids to eat plant foods, they’ll create less waste, create less pollution and decrease their impact on the planet!
Required skills and traits for Culinary Educator:
- Minimal Cooking Skills – basic knife skills, be able to boil water, use a blender, teach kids how to use kid-safe knives etc.
- Flexible with time and mentally flexible – This is a new program. There will be hiccups along the way. I need someone flexible to laugh it off and keep going.
- Organized and professional
- Desire to make a difference in this crazy world!
- Follow through – say what you’ll do and do what you say. It is imperative that last-minute cancellations not occur. The schools MUST be staffed or the kids will have no one scheduled to watch them during that time. The ability to give at least 4 business-days’ notice of absence is required. It’s also imperative that this individual be able to work through the full school year. (Fingerprinting for the county is extremely expensive.)
- Assertive manner – the ability to offer structure to the children
- Positive attitude
- Ability to have fun and be silly!
- Be able to take constructive feedback and offer suggestions and feedback about program
Additional opportunities to run single classes for groups such as Girl or Boy Scouts, daycares etc. will come available.
You must live in the Fruit Cove/Julington Creek, Ponte Vedra areas of North St. Johns County, or be willing to travel.
Please submit your resume and cover letter for Culinary Educator, describing why you’d be a good fit to email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed through July 29th, 2017 or until the positions have been filled.